Intrigued by lichens and wanting to know more about them? In this course, we will cover how to identify lichens, how to distinguish them from other organisms, their place in the local ecologies, and how they are used as food, medicine and tools. This course is intended for those new to lichen or at a beginner identification level.
- Biology & physiology: Understanding what lichens are
- Identification, habitat & ecology: Finding lichens, distinguishing them from other organisms, understanding habitats, and identifying common local lichens and the 3 major lichen groups
- Identification skills: Hand-on practice with identification tools and techniques
- Ethnolichenology: How lichens are used as food, medicine and tools, by humans and others
Preparation and what to bring:
- Wear clothing and shoes that will keep you dry and WARM while moving slowly outside
- Additional information will be sent to registered participants prior to the class
- Participants will be outdoors for a portion of this course.