This course will introduce you to models, perspectives and tools related to Systems Thinking that will help you think more strategically in complex or crisis situations. During the four weeks you will:
- Understand what constitutes Systems thinking and recognize its importance in strategic directions and decisions for action.
- Gain comfort with the inevitable paradox and uncertainty that accompanies strategic systems thinking.
- Recognize when a strategic thinking tool is relevant. You will have the opportunity to work with the following concepts and models:
- Self-Organizing Systems and Unintended Consequences.
- Bolman and Deal’s Four Frames,
- Barry Johnson's Polarity Management,
- Donella Meadows' Systems Traps and Leverage Points,
- Four Worlds' Medicine Wheel analysis,
- PWC's DNA Model,
- Dave Snowden's Cynefin Framework
3-5 hours per week
While the majority of this course is delivered asynchronously, there will be weekly 60 min synchronous sessions. NEW DATES: Wednesdays 3pm to 4pm.
A week prior to the course start date you will receive an email from us with information on how to access the online course. At that time you will be encouraged to visit a short orientation website to familiarize yourself with our online learning platform. You will find the computer requirements for this course through this link: computerservices.royalroads.ca/computer_equip_requirements.
This course can be taken on its own or as part of the Professional Certificate in Management & Leadership and the Professional Certificate in Management Skills for Environmental & Sustainability Professionals.