Most organizations and communities are now engaging in the urgent work of climate adaptation and mitigation. Strategic communication of climate policy is often left out. No climate action policy implementation will be well received without an investment in a communication strategy. Knowing how to strategically identify, inform, and engage your stakeholders and audiences involves a set of learnable skills. In this course we will dive into strategic communication, particularly how to develop a communications strategy. Participants will be creating their own communication strategy, whether that be for their workplace or community.
Just as the climate is changing rapidly, so is the climate conversation that is happening all around us. This rapid pace of change in public awareness and commitment to climate action places demands on climate communicators to be clear on what they are trying to achieve and why—the two primary elements of communication strategy. From strategy flows decisions about the tactics and tools that will allow that strategy to be effectively designed and delivered. By the end of this course, learners will be equipped to understand what goes into developing a communication strategy as well as how to implement one based on a climate action initiative in their own organization or community.
Drawing from a conversations or interviews with guest contributors and a range of case studies, readings, and other resources, participants will explore models and frameworks for strategic communication and communication planning. This four-week intensive course will include a blend of asynchronous exercises, and interactive synchronous sessions. Students’ time commitment in the course includes assignments, readings, videos, and participation in online discussion forums.
- Understand the complexities of and conditions for effective strategies for change management initiatives in organizations
- Recognize different kinds of communication strategies as they relate to climate action
- Identify elements of a climate strategy and plan
- Integrate insights from climate communication best practices to enhance understanding of audience, development of key messages, delivery channels, etc.
- Apply the concepts of communication strategy and planning to development of a draft communication strategy for their own organization