Facilitating Learning Online (FLO) Design course offers participants opportunities to explore different approaches to developing effective asynchronous online courses.
FLO Design is a foundation course in the Facilitating Learning Online (FLO) collection of courses and complements FLO Fundamentals, which focuses on asynchronous online facilitation skills and strategies, and FLO Synchronous, which focuses on design and facilitation of synchronous online learning.
In FLO Design, participants are introduced to a wide range of ideas about how people learn, best practices and recommended pedagogies to engage and support online learners, and several respected quality and accessibility frameworks to guide their design efforts.
The course is practical and developmental; participants design a short unit of learning (2-3 weeks of an asynchronous online course) and a prototype learning activity to demonstrate how they will engage learners online. Weekly “studio” forums enable participants to receive feedback from both course facilitators and participants in order to clarify and develop their design projects.
Note: In this short course, you will not be developing an entire course or learning how to integrate your activity into a specific platform such as Moodle. Rather, your focus will be designing learning, trying new approaches to engage learners and support their success in asynchronous online environments.
FLO Design will best support participants designing facilitated, as opposed to self-study, online courses.
- Discuss important elements of asynchronous online learning design, including quality, accessibility and design guidelines
- Create a plan for a short unit of asynchronous online learning that includes a prototype learning activity
- Critically reflect on your learning and evaluate your progress in augmenting or developing your online learning design skills and knowledge
- Explain design choices and pedagogical perspectives applied to a specific learning design project
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Professional Certificate in Advanced Facilitation Practices : Core Courses