Global Learning & Language Centre
Academic Writing Strategies
In this course you will have opportunities to explore and practice a variety of academic essay types to develop your writing skills. Over the course of the semester, you will be given opportunities for extensive practice to develop your own writing skills. As the course emphasizes writing process, you will be encouraged to practice and repeat each step of the writing process to improve your skills.
You will also be introduced to research skills and the APA citation and referencing style. As you progress through the levels, you will build on skills of writing cohesive, coherent, and well-supported paragraphs and become more comfortable applying the principles of academic integrity.
All students are expected to participate fully in all aspects of the class in order to create a mutually supportive learning environment. You will find the course learning activities and assignments encourage you to work cooperatively with your peers, as well as your instructor.
Hours per week: 5
Levels: 1, 2, 3 (12 weeks per level)
- Understand how ideas form sentences
- Recognize and use different sentence types and patterns, from simple to complex structures
- Use paraphrasing to describe others' ideas
- Learn the fundamentals of referencing information
- Identify, formulate, write and revise thesis statements
- Understand persuasive/option texts and writing
- Understand paragraph structure
- Use cohesive devices to connect information within paragraphs
- Improve proofreading and editing skills
- Develop critical thinking skills
- Build vocabulary and language usage; identifying and correcting errors