If you prefer learning in the online environment or wish to experience instructor-led online learning, this three-week course is perfect for you. Practice your writing skills through online discussions with your instructor and classmates and receive personal feedback on your weekly assignments.
Note: This course is also available as a one-day workshop. Learn with others through engaging discussions, a variety of hands-on writing activities, and immediate feedback from your classmates and instructor.
- How adults read
- The difference between reading on-screen and in print
- Writing for all devices (computers, laptops, tablets, smartphones)
- The 5 Cs of effective writing: correct, clear, concise, coherent, and consistent
- Plain language principles
- Get to the point and keep it simple
- Writing styles—formal, informal, texting
- Write in the active voice and keep it positive
- Avoid jargon/technical terms and redundancy
- Avoid fragments and run-on sentences
- Editing writing – yours and other’s
- Repurposing your message for email, blogs, and social media
- The writing process (emails, blog posts, articles)
- Seven steps to writing effective emails
- Discover the benefits of plain language writing
- Become familiar with and practice the key principles of plain language writing
- Be able to identify key grammar and punctuation errors in your writing, and correct them
- Acquire new skills for editing and revising for maximum impact
- Develop confidence in your writing and editing abilities
- Have greater clarity and impact—guaranteed!
3-5 hours per week
A week prior to the course start date you will receive an email from us with information on how to access the online course. At that time you will be encouraged to visit a short orientation website to familiarize yourself with our online learning platform. You will find the computer requirements for this course through this link: computerservices.royalroads.ca/computer_equip_requirements.