You can learn more about the Climate Risk Institute the Climate Change Adaptation Training for Prairie Region Planners here.
In taking this course, participants will:
- Increase their capacity to incorporate climate change adaptation into practice;
- Develop an understanding of the fundamentals of climate change science and data, impacts in the Prairie Region, risk assessment and adaptation planning;
- Identify requirements around climate change adaptation that have been addressed through planning policy and other applicable laws and policies;
- Expand their knowledge of tools and strategies available to implement climate change adaptation planning;
- Learn how to support communication and collaboration around climate change impacts and adaptation planning;
- Review ways of increasing community resilience using planning tools, asset management strategies, nature-based solutions and explore options that present co-benefits for both mitigation and adaptation.
Depending on your learning style and familiarity with online learning, you may require more or less time to complete the course requirements. We recommend allocating 3 to 5 hours per week to complete the readings, online activities and attend the live sessions.
Live (Synchronous Sessions)
There will be five live or synchronous sessions with the course facilitator (Zoom links will be provided). The dates are as follows:
Thursday October 27 @ 11am-12:30pm EDT (9am-10:30am MDT; 10am-1130am CDT)
Thursday November 3 @ 11am-12:30pm EST (9am-10:30am MST; 10am-1130am CST)*
Thursday November 10 @ 11am-12:30pm EST (9am-10:30am MST; 10am-1130am CST)
Thursday November 17 @ 11am-12:30pm EST (9am-10:30am MST; 10am-1130am CST)
Thursday November 24 @ 11am-12:30pm EST (9am-10:30am MST; 10am-1130am CST)
*n.b.: Daylight savings time begins November 6
A week prior to the course start date learners will receive an email from Royal Roads University Professional and Continuing Studies with information on how to access the online course. At that time learners will be encouraged to visit a short orientation website to familiarize themselves with the online learning platform. Learners will find the computer requirements for this course through this link: computerservices.royalroads.ca/computer_equip_requirements.