This course focuses on the importance of sustainable wild harvesting. Students will gain resources for proper identification of plants including recognizing invasive species and learn simple tools to monitor populations over time.
- Discover why sustainable harvesting is important
- Understanding of ecological harvesting considerations
- Legal harvesting considerations
- Techniques to harvest flowers, seeds, branches and roots
- Harvesting techniques to minimize introduction of invasives and disease
- Simple qualitative and quantitative population monitoring assessment
NOTE: As interest in wild foraging grows it is vital that this training be accompanied by knowledge and appreciation towards land stewardship.
Who should take this course? Anyone who currently practices or is interested in wild harvesting, and anyone interested in land stewardship. Beginners are welcome.