ENVR070 - Organic Master Gardener
Be prepared for a major shift in paradigms! This is a gardening course, and so much more. Students have called it "life changing" - because once we truly understand the connection between soil health, plant health, human health and environmental health we look at the world with different eyes. This is our core course. It's intense - challenging - inspiring, and taking the country by storm! You will get the same comprehensive, professional curriculum as the Organic Horticulture Specialist course, but discussions will generally reflect the interests of a more mixed audience including home gardeners, budding farmers and landscape professionals. Depending on registrations, we may combine students from both courses to keep class sizes manageable!
- Learn to create fabulous food and ornamental gardens without pesticides and other harmful chemicals
- Become involved with SOUL (Society for Organic Urban Land Care) and share your knowledge with your community through workshops, talks and other creative ways
- Gain essential skills to start or enhance your own business in the rapidly growing organic land care industry
- Prepare to write the SOUL Organic Certification exam for land care professionals
- Earn generous Continuing Education Credits to maintain your industry certifications (ISA, CNLA, BCSLA, SOUL)
Required Textbook: Working with Nature - Shifting Paradigms by Heide Hermary, Gaia College (2007). This book is particularly designed to lead the student through the paradigm shift necessary before he/she is capable of truly holistic thinking.
Required Supplies (in order to complete the practical assignments): Bypass pruners Basic gardening tools Materials for composting, garden bed installation, compost tea and other microbial preparations. Microbial inoculants, compost tea brewers, etc. can be purchased from The Organic Gardener's Pantry