The power of this course is immersion in a realistic assignment in which you will experience and optimize group dynamics with co-learners in a work team. While learning is self-directed, you will apply new skills by leading and completing weekly team assignments and receive feedback both from your co-team members and your instructor. These weekly activities will be delivered via both online team discussion forums and video conference. By weaving together multidisciplinary skills and sharing leadership, your team will increase its capacity to be highly innovative and productive
- Assessing the implications of the organization’s strategic goals on the team
- Aligning work team goals with the strategic goals of the organization
- Determining work team priorities annually and reassessing them quarterly
- Preparing a work plan in the form of a modified Gantt chart
- Developing individual goals/performance plans with each team member
- Delegating authority commensurate with responsibilities
- Identify a work team’s purpose and focus within the context of the current and future strategic goals of the organization
- Practice writing vision statements and team agreements, aka terms of engagement
- Co-create team’s Plan the Work to establish the team’s priorities, including: stakeholders’ analysis; communication plan; work breakdown schedule; budget; and assessment process
- Co-create team’s Work the Plan process to: empower and support team members through delegation; write SMART performance goals; assess progress re deliverables; and celebrate success
4-6 hours per week
Course work includes assignments, webinars, discussion forums and video conferences.
A week prior to the course start date you will receive an email from us with information on how to access the online course. At that time you will be encouraged to visit a short orientation website to familiarize yourself with our online learning platform. You will find the computer requirements for this course through this link: computerservices.royalroads.ca/computer_equip_requirements.
This course can be taken on its own or as part of the Applied Certificate in Supervisory Skills - ONLINE.